Friday, January 29, 2016

HORIZON by Tabitha Lord

HORIZON
by Tabitha Lord

Caeli Crys isn’t living—she’s surviving. On the run after the genocide of her empathic people, she witnesses a spaceship crash near her hidden camp. When she feels the injured pilot suffering from miles away, she can’t help but risk discovery to save his life.

Commander Derek Markham awakens stranded on an uncharted planet. His co-pilot is dead, his ship is in ruins, and he’s only alive because a beautiful young woman is healing him with her mind.

As Derek recovers, Caeli shares the horror of her past and her fear for the future. When Derek’s command ship, Horizon, sends rescue, Derek convinces Caeli to leave with him. But his world is as treacherous as hers—full of spies, interplanetary terrorist plots, and political intrigue. Soon the Horizon team is racing to defend an outlying planet from a deadly enemy, and Caeli’s unique skills may just give them the edge they need to save it.

EXCERPT
She felt them before she heard them. The sudden wave of panic gripped Caeli so fiercely that she fell to her knees. Sweat beaded on her forehead and her body shook with another person’s cold fear. We’re losing altitude. I can’t keep her nose up. Time is running out. A voice echoed in her head, frantic. The words were strange and foreign, but she felt their intent.

A ship pierced the white clouds overhead. Frozen in place, Caeli tracked it streaking across the sky, her consciousness now fully merged with one of the desperate occupants onboard. Her breath came in short, gasping bursts. Seconds later a shattering pain exploded through her body and she screamed. The ground shook violently beneath her, and then nothing.

~Buy HORIZON on Amazon

AN INTERVIEW WITH TABITHA
-What inspired you to become a writer?

I dreamed of being a writer when I was a little girl. But I also wanted to be an astronaut, a doctor, and an archeologist! And then life happened! I think so much of my energy was taken up raising my kids, working, and running a household, there just wasn’t much left over for creativity. I am not implying you can’t have young children and write. I know people who do it very successfully, but it was all I could do to string a sentence together!

Then my children got older, the dynamics in my family shifted, and I began to consider changing careers. While I pondered what was next for me professionally, I took on a yearlong writing project at work, thinking it would give me the change of pace I needed. Turns out it was one of the most satisfying things I’d ever done in my career. Since I was in the habit of writing every day for work, I challenged myself to write creatively every day as well. A year later when the report was finished, so was the first draft of a manuscript.

-If you could visit your book’s world for a day, what one thing would you do?

I’d pilot Derek’s fighter through interstellar space!

-Give us a fun or interesting fact you learned researching this book.

I really had fun naming my characters and planets! Some of the names I took from star charts or cities around the world, but Caeli’s planet is actually named after the astronomical and mathematical manual written by Ptolemy around 105 BC – The Almagest.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

I’d definitely go for drinks with Andreas. Although he is only a minor character, I love him. He’s colorful, charismatic, and an old-school gentleman, in addition to being a criminal. I think he’d probably be the most fun!

-If you could go back in time and give your pre-published self one piece of advice, what would it be?

Oh, I have a few things I would advise my pre-published self! But if I had to pick the most important it would be this: a first draft is nowhere near the finished product. This was shocking to me as a first time novelist, although it shouldn’t have been! I knew edits were going to happen, but I had no idea how much work they would be. If I had to estimate, I would say that writing the first draft was only about one-third of the work. Editing and working through the business side of publishing made up the other two-thirds. What's fun though, or at least what's satisfying about the post first-draft phase, is transforming the story from a rambling, exhaustive, stream of consciousness manuscript, to a work that has structure, flow, and even some artistry. I’ve learned so much about the craft of writing through editing.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

I’m definitely planning to write in different genres. I’ve started a speculative thriller, and I have plans for a historical fiction novel. I’d love to write horror, and maybe some straight-up romance too. Literary fiction would be stretch for me, but I wouldn’t rule it out. I’m not sure I could ever pull off a mystery, though. I’m the kind of person who reads the end of the story first if it’s too suspenseful!

ABOUT TABITHA

Tabitha currently lives in Rhode Island, a few towns away from where she grew up. She is married, has four great kids, a spoiled Ragdoll cat, and lovable black lab. The house is noisy and the dinner table full! She holds a degree in Classics from College of the Holy Cross and taught Latin for years at a small, independent Waldorf school. She also worked in the admissions office there before turning her attention to full-time writing.

You can visit her blog at www.tabithalordauthor.com where she posts author interviews, hosts guest bloggers, and discusses some favorite topics including parenting and her writing journey. Horizon is her first novel.

Find her online:

-Twitter @tlordauthor
-Pinterest
-Facebook

~Follow the rest of the tour

GIVEAWAY

Tabitha Lord will be awarding a $10 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Kit ‘N Kabookle posts on Twitter @desantismt. Tag me for retweets.

Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'll check out the book.

      Delete
  2. Interesting interview-it is hard to squeeze everything in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Thanks for checking out the interview:)

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed learning about the book. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete