Thursday, December 31, 2015

THE MAPKEEPER AND THE RISE OF THE WARDENS by Katie Cash

THE MAPKEEPER AND THE RISE OF THE WARDENS
by Katie Cash

A teenage girl in future North America discovers that she is heir to a magical map which transports her to another world called Praxis, where her position as Mapkeeper is held in high regard. She is expected to learn to use the map’s magic to help the creatures of Praxis defend their homeland against the dark magic of the Wardens, a group of ancient beings whose magic is stirring again after centuries of peace.

EXCERPT
The walk to school was gorgeous and still. The gentlest snowfall drifted from the gray sky, dusting last night’s snowfall with a fresh final layer of fluff. The padding of snow muffled the sounds of the small town coming to life.

To Lucy’s surprise, there was a large crowd of townspeople gathered around Frostbite High when it came into sight. They spilled into the parking lot, cramming themselves against one another, trying to get a view of someone or something at the center of the outdoor courtyard. Lucy’s curiosity was piqued—nothing interesting ever happened at Frostbite.

“What’s going on?” Luke asked.

“I don’t know… I don’t remember any of the teachers saying there would be an event on Monday,” Mack replied.

The Barnes siblings quickened their pace. The low murmur of excited voices emanated from the crowd. People pointed toward the center of the courtyard and stood on tip-toes to get a better view. An inexplicable apprehension formed somewhere deep within Lucy’s stomach.

The siblings weaved through several parked snow mobiles and reached the edge of the crowd in the parking lot. They shouldered their way in until they had a clear view of the courtyard. There was a group of people seated in high-backed chairs on stage, but Lucy couldn’t make out their faces.

“Who are they?” Mack asked a man who was squeezed up against him.

“It’s Mr. Quincy and his staff!” the gray-bearded man muttered. “He’s supposed to make some special announcement, just for us here in Aglid.” The man’s eyes darkened with mistrust.

~Buy THE MAPKEEPERS AND THE RISE OF THE WARDENS on Amazon.

AN INTERVIEW WITH KATIE
-What inspired you to become a writer?

Cue standard response, am I right?! I wish I had some story about an epiphany I had while sky diving, but the truth is that I’ve always wanted to write and publish a book, and I’ve been writing short stories and poetry as long as I can remember. I guess it’s in da bluud!

-If you could visit your book’s world for a day, what one thing would you do?

This is an interesting question! I love the little village in Praxis, and would love to spend a day exploring and meeting the quirky characters who live there. The houses are charming little Bavarian-style A-frame houses, and there is always a lot of activity going on in central square. I’d grab a bite to eat at the grungy Alewife Inn, stop in at old Maerwynn’s Artifacts shop (if she’s awake), and go outside town to enjoy the open space and beautiful scenery! Hopefully I would be there during the tulip season, because when all the fields are in bloom, it would be a stunning swath of color with the clear blue lake and snowy Dour Mountains in the background.

-Give us a fun or interesting fact you learned researching this book.

My research for this book was so varied and interesting! I learned a ton of random (mostly useless) things, like the names of cities in rural Switzerland, the meaning of dozens of Old English, Hebrew, Scottish, and Irish names, and—for a portion of the first draft which was later removed—I learned all about how coffee beans start out as bright red berries! They are then shelled and roasted into the brown beans we know and LOVE. I found researching that to be really fascinating (and I’m kind of bummed that part didn’t make it into the final draft, but it is for the best).

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

Probably King Muttongale- he’s hilarious! It’s fun just writing about him, so actually hanging out with him would be even better. He’s totally unexpected: he’s the king, but he’s goofy and quirky and really short. A complete oxymoron! But he’d be crazy-fun to hang out with, especially if he got a little tipsy!

-If you could go back in time and give your pre-published self one piece of advice, what would it be?

Write in the format you’re going to publish in! I wasted ALLLL OF THE HOURS reformatting my fonts, spacing, margins, etc. after I finished the novel. There are different formatting requirements for paperback versus ebooks, too, so that’s something to consider. Now that I’m starting book two, I am writing in a template that’s already formatted for paperback so I’ll never have to do that frustrating, tedious work again! 

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

Yes! Romance, because it’s just not me… and horror for sure. I am such a huge wimp when it comes to scary stuff! I think I’m a hyper-empathizer because I totally feel like it’s all happening to me (and that is NOT cool!) I guess I’ve always wanted to be a little more tolerant of scary stuff, but it’s not too hard to avoid all in all.

ABOUT KATIE

Katie Cash is an active duty military officer who lives in San Diego with her husband and their cat. She enjoys running, surfing, competing in triathlons, and, of course, writing. She also hosts an annual badminton tournament, rides a 150cc Vespa scooter, and plays the cello. She can most often be found exploring new running trails, at the beach, hunkered down writing in a coffee shop, or sampling a new local craft beer at one of San Diego’s many craft breweries.

Find her online:

-website
-Facebook
-Twitter @the_katiecash

~Follow the rest of the tour here

GIVEAWAY

Katie Cash will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Kit ‘N Kabookle posts on Twitter @desantismt. Tag me for retweets.

Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! I like fanny packs, so I've brought those back into fashion myself, whether others do or not! :) How about you?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I enjoy a wide variety of genes, but some that I've read recently that I really enjoyed were The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Good Neighbor by AJ Banner, and The Jester by James Patterson.

      Delete
  3. I really love the cover of this book! I'm looking forward to reading it, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the chance to win :)

    ReplyDelete