Thursday, December 3, 2015

THE CROOKED CITY by Ryan Whitwam

THE CROOKED CITY
by Ryan Whitwam

Jonah doesn’t want to run–he has to. There’s only so much pain one man can cause before he needs to start over. Unstuck from his tainted past, he craves the anonymity he can only achieve by vanishing like a specter in the night.

Before his new life is even underway, a chance encounter leaves him in possession of a curious object–something the mysterious Keepers of The Oracle will kill to obtain, but there’s more to the Keepers than Jonah could possibly imagine. They have the ability to do much worse than kill, and now he's in their sights.

The Keepers wield power unlike anything Jonah has ever seen, and they’re closing in fast. He’s placed a new group of innocents in danger this time, and he can’t run away again.

EXCLUSIVE EXCERPT
"What the fuck was that?" Kat asked, gasping for air.

"That was Ollie," Jonah said. He leaned forward, placing his hands on his thighs. Kat turned to him and narrowed her eyes.

"You know that psychopath?" Her glare drilled into him like he was the enemy. She stood and took a cautious step away.

"This is going to sound weird," he said. Kat gave a small scoffing laugh. "After I left Heathrow, Ollie mugged me. He took my phone, roughed me up a little. That's why I went into the cemetery to help. I didn't know it was you he was after. It was just... a crazy coincidence."

Kat stood her ground and raised her eyebrows. Even he had to admit it sounded insane.

"Look, I'm serious," Jonah said. He turned out his pockets in an attempt to show he had no phone. "I was walking, then he started yelling at me. I—I don't know…" He struggled to explain the feeling he had when he saw Ollie. "I thought he was a cop. I was sure of it. Then he just... wasn’t."

Kat stood there under the streetlight next to the curb. She wrapped her arms around herself and shivered. "You thought he was a policeman, even though he didn't look like one?"

"Yeah."

She looked to the side once, and paused with her mouth open slightly, as if about to speak. She was silent instead.

Jonah leaned forward and stood up. His stomach protested again, still tender from his earlier run-in with Ollie and likely aggravated by the recent action. He dumped his backpack on the ground, rocked back against the wall, and winced.

"Well," Kat said. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve. "I don't know about you, but I could use a drink, and you happen to be leaning against a pub."

The constant hum of sound from inside confirmed it. Glasses clinked in concert with the buzz of excited conversation.

He took in Kat's delicate features in the dim light of the street. She was beautiful, puffy eyes and all. She studied his face with the same intensity.

"Kat," he said, "I'm not going to be in town long. We shouldn't—”

"Jonah," she said. "I didn't ask you to shag me. Just buy me a drink. I lost my fucking handbag back there. Someone has to buy me a drink." She paused. “Maybe we can revisit the issue of shagging later.” She was kidding, wasn’t she?

As much as he thought it a bad idea, he smiled at Kat and agreed. He could use another drink anyway. He opened the door for Kat and followed her inside.

~Buy THE CROOKED CITY:

-Amazon
-Google Play

ABOUT RYAN

Ryan lives in Minnesota with his wife and dogs. He writes words like the ones in this book, as well as some very different words on the internet about technology and science. He likes smartphones, sci-fi, and people who read his book. He's not very good at describing himself.

Find him online:

-website
-Twitter @RyanWhitwam
-Google+

~Follow the rest of the tour here

GIVEAWAY

The author will award a randomly drawn commenter via Rafflecopter a $20 Amazon/BN gift card and a randomly drawn host a $20 Amazon/BN GC.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Kit ‘N Kabookle posts on Twitter @desantismt. Tag me for retweets.

Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really good book, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the exclusive excerpt. Sounded intriguing

    ReplyDelete