Sunday, October 25, 2015

THE LIBERTY BOX by C. A. Gray

THE LIBERTY BOX
by C. A. Gray

Kate Brandeis has it all: a famous reporter at the age of twenty-four, she’s the face of the Republic of the Americas. She has a loving fiancĂ© and all the success she could wish for. But when she learns of the death of a long-forgotten friend, her investigations unravel her perfect memories, forcing her to face the fact that she’s been living a lie.

Jackson MacNamera, trained from a young age in the art of mind control, returns to the Republic for his mother’s funeral. Within a few hours of his arrival, authorities collect Jackson and take him by force to a room ironically called The Liberty Box, where he must choose between surrendering his thoughts to the new Republic, or fleeing for his freedom.

Kate, bereaved and confused, finds her way to a cave community of refugees, where Jackson seems to offer her an escape from her grief. The two forge an uneasy bond, and in the process Jackson learns that Kate has some insight which may help the hunters in their attempt to free other citizens from the tyranny of the Potentate. Against the expressed wishes of the Council, the hunters plot a series of daring raids, attempting to prove that not only is freedom possible, but that the citizens are not too far gone to desire it. But with the odds so stacked against them, can the refugees succeed in their rescue missions right under the Potentate’s nose?

~Buy THE LIBERTY BOX on Amazon.

~Add it on Goodreads.

AN INTERVIEW WITH C. A.
-What inspired you to write The Liberty Box?

Well, I’ve been reading a lot of dystopian books so I knew I wanted to do something in that genre. But really what inspired me to write this particular brand of dystopian was my fascination with the concept of the power of our minds. How much does what we believe shape our reality? That’s what I’m exploring in this book.

-Did you plot this novel, or did you just sit down, start writing, and let the story take you where it would?

I am definitely a plotter! If I sat down and just started writing, I’d write myself into a corner, get bored, and go do something else. :) That doesn’t mean that everything goes exactly according to my plan… but it doesn’t usually veer too far off course.

-What are your ideal writing conditions?

I write in the morning, with a cup of decaf coffee (because I’ve already had my caffeinated by then), with no noise. And if I get stuck, I get up and go in my backyard, pacing and talking to myself until I’ve worked out the problem I’m working on.

-If you could visit the world of The Liberty Box for a day, what one thing would you do?

Well, first of all, I wouldn’t. :) Not a place I’d like to live. But if I had to, I’d definitely join forces with the rebels.

-What’s your favorite piece of futuristic tech in The Liberty Box?

Again, none of the futuristic tech is actually “good” in the book… so I guess the one thing that’s more neutral are the bullet trains.

-How was writing the Liberty Box different from writing your past novels?

It was a very different head space, if that makes sense. In “Piercing the Veil,” I was in a fantastical world where much more was possible than it is in “The Liberty Box.” But the process of creation feels quite similar beyond that… I start with plot, I layer in characterization, and try to figure out surprise twists and turns that the reader won’t anticipate!

ABOUT C. A.
C.A. Gray is a Naturopathic Medical Doctor (NMD), with a primary care practice in Tucson, Arizona. She has always been captivated by the power of a good story, fictional or otherwise, which is probably why she loves holistic medicine: a patient’s physical health is invariably intertwined with his or her life story, and she believes that the one can only be understood in context with the other. Her favorite fictional tales have always been epic battles of good versus evil, with a strong tendency towards parable. An idealist herself, she has always been convinced that these stories have something deeply true to tell us about the human condition, and that is why we love them so much… or at least that’s why she does. She still wants to be everything when she grows up. She moonlights as a college chemistry teacher (she has a degree in biochemistry, with minors in Spanish and Creative Writing), does theater when she gets the chance, sings, plays piano, was once a personal trainer and in coffee shop management. She is blessed with exceptionally supportive family and friends, and thanks God for them every single day!

Find her online:

-website
-Facebook
-Twitter @AuthorCAGray
-Pinterest

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Kit ‘N Kabookle posts on Twitter @desantismt. Tag me for retweets.

Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment