Wednesday, June 17, 2015

ON THE EDGE by T. S. Krupa

ON THE EDGE
by T. S. Krupa

Andy Parker is a war widow raising her fifteen-year-old daughter on her own. Hayden Grace dreams of becoming a professional snowboarder, and Andy is doing everything she can to make that happen. When Hayden Grace’s passion begins to falter, Andy is at a loss for how to re-inspire her daughter.

Andy does her best balancing Hayden Grace’s competition schedule, practice, and school with her own work schedule at home, in the city, and on the mountain. But work starts to demand more from Andy. Then, Andy receives an opportunity of a lifetime. An opportunity that will turn their lives upside down. But is it too good to be true?

Soon, mother and daughter find themselves in Aspen for Hayden Grace’s first national competition when a chance encounter brings Andy into a passionate, unexpected romance, a romance that could change everything. Will Andy be able to find the happiness she deserves?

EXCERPT
I continued to pace in the hallway by the front door, glancing out the window every so often, waiting for headlights to sweep across the driveway. It was well after seven in the evening and Hayden Grace was late, which wasn’t completely unusual. Molly, our golden retriever, was on the upstairs landing looking down at me, following my back and forth movements while Casey sat on the stairs fiddling with her phone. I exhaled more sharply than I intended, startling them both when I heard the gravel crunch outside.

“It’s about time…you’re late,” I said with exasperation, when she finally made her way into the house with strands of her long blonde hair sticking out under her knit cap, her book bag and snowboard bag in tow.

“Sorry,” she mumbled with no real remorse, as only a fifteen-year-old can do.

“I’m headed out, but Casey is here to babysit you,” I said, raising my voice at her retreating figure as she darted straight up the stairs brushing past Casey and Molly, headed to her room, dragging her bags on the floor.

“I don’t need a babysitter, Andy,” she shouted back as she slammed the door to her room.

“It’s ‘Mom’…” I shouted back as the deafening sounds of Fall Out Boy could be heard from her room. Just then, a faint sound of a horn beeped in the driveway.

“That’s me,” I said, taking a deep breath and looking at Casey who was still sitting on the stairs.

“No sweat, Mrs. Parker,” Casey said, giving me a half-hearted smile.

“I’ll be back around eleven,” I began to say as I glanced at my watch. My mind drifted to the hectic schedule I had the following day, “umm…maybe more like ten-thirty,” I clarified to the top of Casey’s head as she continued to play on her phone.

“Molly, how do I look?” I asked playfully, twirling around as I grabbed my long gray winter trench coat off the staircase banister. Molly raised her head and gave me a wag of her tail.

“That will do,” I said quietly and slipped out the front door to the waiting silver Nissan Altima in the driveway.

~Buy ONE THE EDGE:

-Amazon
-B&N
-iBooks
-Kobo

~Add it on Goodreads

AN INTERVIEW WITH T. S. KRUPA
-What inspired you to become a writer?

I have been writing my whole life, but only professionally writing since 2013. The idea of writing is a very daunting process for me. I tend to overthink everything I do. Always thinking about how people will respond to the characters, the setting, the idea etc. It’s almost impossible to write with those limitations. Yet sometimes the ideas keep me up at night, and finally I just have to sit down and put my thoughts on paper, and block out the “other" thoughts. When I started writing I didn’t know if the words would ever get published or if anyone would ever read them besides me, and that was freeing.

-What draws you to romance?

I am drawn to sharing a compelling story and relating it back to real life. My stories are fiction, but within them are situations I think everyone can relate to. I am also drawn to dealing with difficult situations through my characters, whether it be death, breakup, complicated love, or impossible odds.

-Give us a fun or interesting fact you learned researching this book.

I learned a lot about snowboarding while working on this book. I knew, as with most things, it is very difficult to make it to the elite level, but through the research I was really able to dive into that. The biggest things I learned were the names of tricks, what the mechanics of each trick looked like, and how just a small change can change the entire trick.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

This is such a tough question. I think that I would love to see each of my characters in their own elements. Ross performing on stage, Paul Westcott and Hayden Grace Parker snowboarding, Andy skiing, taking a tour of Jill’s beach house with her. As far as drinks, I’d probably take Stella and Lanie from my first book (Safe & Sound). I think it would be an entertaining night out!

-For aspiring writers, any tips?

Do what you want to do NOW and not LATER. “Later" is defined officially by Webster’s as a time in the future. Who’s future? Is there ever a good time? Is this “time" measureable? We toss the word “later" around so casually…"I’ll do it later”…"there will be more time later”…"things will slow down, later”… or when you're super tired and cranky, you go to one word responses, “later" – no explanation needed. But what if we stop doing things “later" and instead start doing them “now?" “Now" is defined as "at the present time," "the very next moment," or "very soon." Can you imagine what we could accomplish “now," instead of “later?" I can.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

I’m a huge fan of fantasy and sci-fi, but I could never write in that genre. When I write I start with a place I have been and experiences that I think could actually happen. I don’t have the imagination to dream up completely made-up realms, a new language, or an alternate universe. I am very envious of those who can!

ABOUT T. S.

T. S. Krupa was born in New Haven, Connecticut. Raised in a Polish household with a blended American culture, she is fluent in Polish. She graduated with her bachelor’s degree from Franklin Pierce University,where she also played field hockey. She earned her Master’s from Texas Tech University and recently graduated with her Doctor of Education from North Carolina State University. She lives in North Carolina with her husband and her dog.

In 2014, T. S. Krupa published her award-winning debut novel Safe & Sound. On The Edge is her second novel. To learn more about the author visit her website.

Find her online:

-website
-Facebook
-Twitter @TS_Krupa
-Goodreads

GIVEAWAY

1. Grand Prize (1 winner): 1 signed collection of my books (“On The Edge” and “Safe & Sound”), a “Safe & Sound” Bookmark, and a $25 Amazon gift card! (US Only)
2. 2nd Place Prize (1 winner): 1 signed collection of my books (“On The Edge” and “Safe & Sound”) (US Only)
3. 3rd Place Prize (3 winners): 3 sets of eARC copies of “On The Edge” and “Safe & Sound.” (Open Internationally!)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Kit ‘N Kabookle posts on Twitter @desantismt. Tag me for retweets.

Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your participation in T's Book Tour, Mary. You're a wonderful host! Hope to work together again soon!!!

    ~ Caitlin, Royal Social Media

    ReplyDelete