Friday, May 1, 2015

PRISON OF HOPE by Steve McHugh

PRISON OF HOPE
by Steve McHugh

Long ago, Olympian gods imprisoned the demon Pandora in a human—Hope—creating a creature whose only purpose was chaos and death. Remorseful, the gods locked Pandora away in Tartarus, ruled by Hades.

Now, centuries later, Pandora escapes. Nate Garrett, a 1,600-year-old sorcerer, is sent to recapture her and discovers her plan to disrupt the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games, killing thousands in a misplaced quest for vengeance.

Fast forward to modern-day Berlin, where Nate has agreed to act as guardian on a school trip to Germany to visit Hades at the entrance to Tartarus. When Titan King Cronus becomes the second ever to escape Tartarus, Nate is forced to track him down and bring him back, to avert a civil war between those who would use his escape to gain power.

EXCERPT
“See?” the manager told Mara. “He wishes you no harm.”

“We’ll see how that goes when he’s murdering us in our sleep,” she said.

“I promise to clean up after I’m done,” I said.

The manager gave me a “Was that really necessary?” look while someone behind me made no effort to conceal his or her snigger. Apparently my time of helping was over.

~Buy PRISON OF HOPE on Amazon.

AN INTERVIEW WITH STEVE
-What inspired you to become a writer?

I always enjoyed writing, even as a young boy. But when I was about 13 my English teacher at school advised me to read books from genres that I didn't normally read, so I went to the local library and picked up David Gemmell, Terry Pratchett and Stephen King. Once I finished them, I knew I wanted to do it myself.

-If you could visit your book’s world for a day, what one thing would you do?

Hide. Seriously, I know far too much and someone there would want to keep me quiet.

-Give us a fun or interesting fact you learned researching this book.

I learned all about the Krampus. Or the evil Santa, or whatever people would know him as. He’s terrifying. I mean, absolutely horrific, and as soon as I read about him, I knew he had to be in the book.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

Tommy. He’s a powerful werewolf with a young daughter, and a love of Star Wars and geeky things. He’s basically me. Except the werewolf thing, I’m not one of those. My wife would not be happy if I started shedding everywhere.

-If you could go back in time and give your pre-published self one piece of advice, what would it be?

That’s hard because when I first started out, I knew nothing. I know slightly more than nothing now, but I’m always learning, such is the business I’m in. I’d probably tell younger me to chill out, to never read reviews and don’t take everything seriously. Yes, I know that’s more than one, but it’s under the same umbrella of advice. The day, as a writer, you just accept that not everyone will like your stuff, that you can’t take things personally and to just get on with writing what makes you happy, is the day you become a lot happier as a person. It took me about a year to figure that out.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

Erotic anything. There are sex scenes in the first two books, and I’m not ashamed to say they’re not great. I decided pretty quickly that while those scenes were necessary for the book, I didn’t want to do a huge number. I’m not prudish or anything like that, I just don’t write good enough sex scenes. I could never write in a genre where the sex is meant to be hot, heavy and frequent.

ABOUT STEVE

Steve McHugh is the author of the popular Hellequin Chronicles. The fourth book, Prison of Hope, is out on April 14th. He lives in Southampton on the south coast of England with his wife and three young daughters. When not writing or spending time with his kids, he enjoys watching movies, reading books and comics, and playing video games.

Find him online:

-website
-Facebook
-Twitter @StevejMchugh

---
Hey, readers,

Join me in thanking Steve for an awesome interview!

Follow the rest of the tour

And enter the giveaway.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Kit ‘N Kabookle posts on Twitter @desantismt. Tag me for retweets.

Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the interview. This sounds like a fascinating story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is amazing. A great interview!

    ReplyDelete