Wednesday, June 18, 2014

FORGETTING FALLENWOOD by Leslie D. Soule

FORGETTING FALLENWOOD by Leslie D. Soule
A fantasy novel

What happens when Ash accidentally makes her way through another portal, this time into the Other Realm, and forgets she ever went to Fallenwood? More importantly, how much of one's identity is made up of memories? Fallenwood 2 is the continuing journey of heroine Ash Kensington. Struggling with a deep sense of grief, sorrow, and overall confusion, Ash tries to work her way through to a deeper, underlying meaning. This search leads her back to Fallenwood, where the mystery unravels itself as she realizes that a very sinister force may be underlying everything…

EXCERPT
As she approached the archway, she looked through it and saw the open sky beyond, with clouds that looked soft as cotton. A guard stood next to a bronze plaque with the words "Invisible Bridge—take a leap of faith!" He smiled as though radiating an inner light and Ash felt drawn to the challenge like a moth to a bug zapper. She took a deep breath and was about to take a step out onto what appeared to be nothing, when she felt the strong hands of Terces, pulling her back by the shoulders. She also felt a small force tugging at the leg of her jeans. She felt herself pulled backward several feet and then saw Terces’s brown eyes boring into hers.

"The invisible bridge is a trap for the unwary. The clerks of the Tower are trying to kill you.”

Ash gasped at the realization of what she’d nearly done. She seated herself on the ground. "I’m so sorry. I need a moment.”

Greymalkin walked up and pressed his nose up to hers. Then he swiped her across the face with a paw. His eyes narrowed. "Who do you think you are—Indiana Jones?”

~Buy FORGETTING FALLENWOOD at Amazon or from Melange Books.

AN INTERVIEW WITH LESLIE
-What made you want to write?

I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. Writing has always been a great creative outlet for me.

-What draws you to fantasy?

I really love the fantasy genre because it contains a lot of the elements I find fun in a story – the forest, dragons, unicorns, magic, etc.

-Name a fun fact you learned researching this project.

Well, for Forgetting Fallenwood, I looked up a lot about wyverns, and there’s scarce information about them out there, really, other than that they’re vaguely dragon-like. The D&D manual has them as sort of bipedal creatures, where Slick, in my story, goes on four legs like a dragon would. He’s more like a miniature dragon. I would have liked to have more detail to go on.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

I’d go for drinks with Will, Fallenwood’s sorcerer, and Greymalkin, my talking cat character, for sure. We’d drink hot frothy mugs of rakeih, a spiced berry drink I invented.

-For aspiring writers, any tips?

Yes – get a website, start submitting your stuff to every venue you can find, familiarize yourself with the conventions of the genre you want to focus on, and begin creating a support network for yourself as an author.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

I really can’t see myself writing graphic crime novels because I’ve got a weak stomach when it comes to blood and gore. My sister would always want to watch surgery shows, growing up, and I never had the stomach for it. It was always gross to me. I feel like as a child, I was traumatized by the heart-ripping scene in Indiana Jones, too. Too gross for me to handle.

ABOUT LESLIE

Leslie D. Soule is an author who loves to try new genres and Sacramento, California is her hometown. She has an M.A. in English from National University and is a member of the English Chapter of the Sac State Alumni Association. She is currently working on her fantasy quadrilogy, The Fallenwood Chronicles.

Visit Leslie’s website. Connect with her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter @Falcondraco.

---
Hey, readers,

Join me in thanking Leslie for an awesome interview!

Follow the rest of the tour

And enter the rafflecopter giveaway.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. The research about wyverns would have been very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very exciting book. The excerpt sounds amazing and I look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your supportive comments, everyone. And thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read crime novels, I don't like the blood and gore either. I would have nightmares.



    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't read crime novels, I don't like the blood and gore either. I would have nightmares.



    ReplyDelete
  6. As a lover of all things cat, Greymalkin sounds like an awesome character! Cool interview, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice reason to write

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the book cover. Thank you for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete