Friday, June 6, 2014

ANGEL'S BETRAYAL by H. A. Somerled

ANGEL’S BETRAYAL by H. A. Somerled
A mystery/thriller

It's summertime and insects are not the only things flying in the London skies.

Oliver and Danny Murray return in this explosive second-in-the-series novel.

When two CIA agents appear in Oliver Murray's office, he knows nothing good could come from it. An American drone has gone missing and the agents believe that one of their own may have taken it. The agent in question is Sara Parsons, also known as Fallen Angel.

Maintaining her innocence, Angel tries to find the real culprit, but when one of the agents sent to apprehend her turns up dead in her flat, Oliver has a hard time believing her. With the help from his brother, Danny, Oliver betrays his own instincts and decides to help Angel find the true murderer and drone thief.

A COUPLE OF EXCERPTS

EXCERPT 1
When he arrived in the alley, he saw the twisted mass of metal on the ground. From above, embers and puffs of insulation fluttered down like a soft, charcoal snow. He looked up to Angel’s flat and his heart dropped when he saw the burned-out windows as fire continued to consume it. How could she have escaped that? As Danny gaped at the ruins, his eyes filled with tears. She’s gone!

EXCERPT 2
“You mentioned at our last meeting,” he picked up his notes and read. “’She walks on the edge of the law.’ Do you still believe this?”

“It’s not what I believe, it’s the truth,” Oliver huffed. “Only now, I’m not sure what to believe. She makes me forget who I am.”

~Buy ANGEL’S BETRAYAL on Amazon in Ebook or paper.

AN INTERVIEW WITH H. A.
-What made you want to write?

For this particular series, I just wanted a story that I would enjoy. I was frustrated with the mystery books and television programs where I solved the mystery in the first five minutes. (I’m looking at you Elementary.) I enjoy strong characters, great action, and meaningful dialog.

-What draws you to thrillers?

Thrillers are engaging, they get my heart pumping, and my brain spinning. I enjoy trying to figure out the mystery, looking for the clues and connecting the dots.

-Name a fun fact you learned researching this project.

I have reoccurring drag queens throughout the series. In the first book, they were unnamed, but in this novel, I wanted to give them an identity because they take a bigger role in the third one. I ended up on a drag queen name generator and spent the rest of the night clicking and laughing. I wrote down my favorites and that’s how I came up with Amber Waves and Holly Mackerel.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

That depends on what kind of a night you want. If I was up for a fun night of drinking and dancing, Danny would be the guy. Oliver is the one if I wanted a good conversation over a sophisticated cocktail. And if I was feeling anti-social and wanted to just glower at people and point out their faults, Angel would have the best darkened corner table to sit at.

-For aspiring writers, any tips?

A critique group is essential. However, find one with a range of genres. I am in one that is 99% romance writers, and me, the “man” of the group. Though they have helped me slow down my pacing in places and be more descriptive, they also want to know how everybody feels and they get upset when I kill characters, especially in the first chapters. Meanwhile, I’m telling them to stop being so coy and get on with the story, and I’m fighting the eye-rolling as they read through their drama.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

If it wasn’t obvious from the previous answer, it’s romance. Especially cozy romance. My group is always trying to convince me to do a romance because of my attitude towards it, but I keep telling them it would be a farce. To prove my point I wrote and read them a short parody of Fifty Shades of Grey, called Fifty Shades of Stay. It was about a Cocker Spaniel named Anna who was tired of doing things “doggie style” then she met a Greyhound named Chris, who she was sure could scratch her in places she’s never been scratched before.

Needless to say, they haven’t asked me to write a romance ever again.

ABOUT H. A.

H. A. Somerled lives in the Missoula, Montana area. After an uneventful tour in the U.S. Navy, she followed her passions and enrolled in Culinary School. She graduated from the Colorado Institute of Art and has also completed a writing course from the Long Ridge Writer's Group.

She has two dogs, a puggle named Fritter and a pug named Flapjack. She considers herself lucky to be single and claims she's half the age she really is.

Check out H. A.’s website. Visit her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter @hasomerled.

---
Hey, readers,

Join me in thanking H. A. for a great interview!

Follow the rest of the tour

And comment for a chance at a prize.

The author will be awarding a digital copy of the book (winner's choice) to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! I really enjoyed the excerpts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete