Friday, April 18, 2014

ICE RED by Jael Wye

ICE RED by Jael Wye
A scifi romance

Mirror, mirror, full of stars,
Who will claim the throne of Mars?

The princess: Engineer Bianca Ross, heir to a megacorporation and the Mars elevator, needs to acquire a mine on the surface to secure her place in the company. All that stands in her way is the mine's charming owner, Cesare Chan.

The evil stepmother: Victoria Ross is plotting to gain control of Mars. She plans to assassinate Bianca and seduce Cesare to further her goals, and Bianca's trip is the perfect opportunity.

The charming prince: Cesare shouldn't get involved. Bianca's visit could reveal the escaped slaves he's hiding at his mine, but he can't ignore a damsel in distress--especially one as beautiful as Bianca.

Alone, neither would stand a chance against Victoria. But together, they could rewrite a tale that's meant to end with Bianca's blood.

EXCERPT
Time to begin the charm offensive. “How could I forget?” he said. “You were my damsel in distress. Standing on a balcony, no less. A bloke couldn’t ask for a more dramatic introduction. Though we didn’t get around to exchanging names, did we?”

“Well, M’Chan, I am grateful…” She trailed off, as if she didn’t quite know what to say next.

Cesare said thoughtfully, “But I think my heroic actions deserve a more substantial reward than I got. Buying you a drink was nice first installment, but it’s not quite enough.”

She blinked. “Reward?”

“Ay. In return for saving your travelpac, I want you to call me Cesare.”

She looked at him for a moment, her chin tilted up, brows slightly raised. He suddenly had the uncomfortable feeling that she was studying him as if he were an amoeba crawling around on a petri dish. Right, so maybe the charm offensive needs some retooling.

Then again, maybe not. Icy as her expression was, her delicate ivory skin was blooming with heat along her throat and her fine cheekbones.

“Cesare,” she finally said, imbuing the two syllables of his name with a sense of how utterly unimpressive she found him. For some reason Cesare found himself smiling wider.

“Is there something you would like to discuss with me?”

“Ay, Bianca,” he said, reining in his smile. “In fact, I’ve wanted to introduce myself to you, ever since you started trying to take over my company.”

Her expression didn’t waver. “Your company? I believe you mean your father’s company.”

He shook his head slowly. “No, Bianca. My company. No matter what the legal documents say, RedIce is mine.”

~Buy ICE RED:

-Carina Press
-Amazon
-Ebooks

~Add it on Goodreads.

AN INTERVIEW WITH JAEL
-What made you want to write?

I’ve always been an avid reader, but I could never seem to find a book with all the romance, science fiction, and mythic feeling that I wanted. So there was nothing for it but for me to write the story I wanted to read myself.

-What draws you to scifi romance?

What I love about science fiction romance is the combination of exciting action, emotional intensity, and imaginative world-building. Similar genres like paranormal and steampunk also have these elements, but science fiction can do one thing they can’t--explore the effects that powerful technology can have on the human body and spirit. In Ice Red, Bianca and Cesare confront these issues as well as surviving their adventures and finding true love. It’s a lot to deal with, but they can handle it.

-Name a fun fact you learned researching this project.

Mars’s day is thirty-seven minutes longer than Earth’s day. So in Ice Red, I named Mars’s extra thirty-seven minute long hour “Hour Thirteen”, and put it at midnight on the Martian clock. This detail is going to play a key role in more than one of the books in this series, because it’s just too cool to pass up.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

Cesare Chan would be the greatest drinking buddy in the Solar system. Not only does he know all the best duster dives in Hellas basin, he can pour down Hot Green like an Earther and lead the chorus in every Tempe Terra drinking song there is. Then, when the pub brawl starts, he can pound anyone who gets in his way and jack a rover to get gone before Security puts the pinch on.

-For aspiring writers, any tips?

First and most importantly, don’t quit, because no one ever got published by not finishing her book. Second, be a ruthless self-critic, because no one ever got good at writing through complacency. Third, don’t be boring. As a reader, I’ll put up with silly plots, too stupid to live characters, and run on sentences, but I won’t put up with boring.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

I am not at all picky about what genres I read or write. The only thing I don’t think I could ever write would be a book without a happy ending.

ABOUT JAEL

Jael Wye grew up on the American Great Plains, went to school in the Midwest, and now lives in beautiful New England with her family and her enormous collection of houseplants. For more of Jael’s unique blend of futurism and fairy tale, don’t miss her ongoing series Once Upon A Red World.

Visit Jael’s website. Connect with her on Facebook, and follow her on Twitter @jaelwye.

---
Hey readers,

Join me in thanking Jael for an awesome interview!

Follow the rest of the tour

And comment for a chance at a prize!

Jael will be awarding an eCopy of Ladder to the Red Star to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. fairy tale themed sci-fi? i'm in :)

    madtvk34 _(at)_ yahoo _(dot)_ com

    ReplyDelete