Thursday, February 20, 2014

RDSP Year of the Reader: Heidi Ruby Miller

Raw Dog Screaming Press has designated 2014 as The Year of the Reader, a time for us to celebrate the audience. We will be doing reader spotlights and special events throughout the year, as well as launching a Reader's Choice Award. More info here.

Heidi Ruby Miller

Reader Experiences

As soon as I arrived at the RDSP/DSB tent at last year's Baltimore Book Festival, I was told a copy of Greenshift was the first sale from our booth, and that the reader had my and my husband's other books and was going home to get them. When Matt Jones came back to have all the books signed, I was so touched--it was appropriate that the first paperback ever of Greenshift went to him.

Speaking of firsts, when I sent a review copy of Ambasadora to a young woman in the UK, she wrote me back to say how surprised and happy she was that I had signed the book. It was the first time she had received a signed book and now had a special place on the shelf for it.

Then there was the madness of the Many Genres, One Craft launch at Seton Hill University's In Your Write Mind conference. Sixty-five contributors plus Mike Arnzen and me (we were co-editors) signing a bazillion hardcovers during the Chocolate Lovers Book Signing and trying to get signatures on our own copies. Then casually Tim Waggoner mentions to me how much one of his mentees at the time enjoyed Ambasadora and thought I should know.

Because I looked at MGOC as belonging to everyone at Seton Hill, hearing that someone enjoyed my novel, a book that was all mine, impacted me. Not that I hadn't been receiving some great reviews from bloggers and Goodreads readers, but this was a peer, a writer who was going through the same rigorous graduate program that I had, someone who understood what went into the thesis novel, more so than any other book.

Thank you, Cin Ferguson. You'll never know how much your kind words have stayed with me every time I see a copy of my book. And, congratulations on graduating last month!

Some of my first and best advocates for my books came from the lovely ladies and gents from the Girls, Guns, and Grimoires Goodreads group. I know I don't hang out as much there anymore, but I check in on them more often than they think. Thank you Claire, Yasmeen, Sunny, Soo, and Pam, especially.

And, much thanks to the wonderful authors at the SFR Brigade because they are writers that read--and the world needs lots more of those!

I had a ton more reader experiences to share, but I've already taken up quite a bit of space, so I'll end with something I say in the acknowledgments of all my books: Thank you to all the readers who have championed the Ambasadora-verse. It inspires me to create more stories within that world and others.

ABOUT HEIDI
Heidi Ruby Miller uses research for her stories as an excuse to roam the globe. Her novels include GREENSHIFT, AMBASADORA, and ATOMIC ZION. She also co-edited the writing guide MANY GENRES, ONE CRAFT.

In between trips, Heidi teaches creative writing at Seton Hill University, where she graduated from their renowned Writing Popular Fiction Graduate Program the same month she appeared on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

She is currently an editor at Dog Star Books and a member of The Authors Guild, International Thriller Writers, Pennwriters, Broad Universe, SFR Brigade, and Science Fiction Poetry Association.

She's fond of high-heeled shoes, action movies, Chanel, and tea of any sort.You can read about her at heidirubymiller.blogspot.com and tweet her @heidirubymiller.

She lives near Pittsburgh with her traveling companion and writer husband, Jason Jack Miller.

Book Links:

Greenshift (From the World of Ambasadora)
-RDSP
-Amazon

Ambasadora Book 1: Marked by Light
-RDSP
-Amazon

Many Genres, One Craft: Lessons in Writing Popular Fiction
-Amazon

Find Heidi on Amazon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me and all the RDSP/DSB authors, Mary! It was a rewarding experience to contemplate how readers of my stories have affected me personally.

    ReplyDelete