Tuesday, February 4, 2014

PRICE OF JUSTICE by Alan Brenham

PRICE OF JUSTICE by Alan Brenham
A mystery/suspense

His focus is on solving the murders—until the unthinkable happens…

Recently widowed, Austin Police Detective Jason Scarsdale works to solve the murders of two pedophiles, while trying to be both mother and father to his five-year-old daughter. During his investigation, Scarsdale is forced to navigate between the crosshairs of two police commanders out to get him. Drawn to Austin Police Crime Analyst, Dani Mueller, who has also suffered tragedy, Scarsdale fights both his attraction and his suspicions that something just isn’t right…

She is hiding a secret, one that could not only cost her a job—it could end her life…

Dani hides a deadly past. After her daughter was brutally murdered, Dani exacted her revenge then changed her name and fled to Austin. But if her secret ever gets out, she knows there is no place she can hide from the murderer’s vicious family.

Pulled into a web of malice and deceit, Scarsdale and Dani discover the value of breaking the rules. Then just when they thought things couldn’t get worse…they do.

EXCERPT
Looking down the black barrel of his service weapon, Detective Jason Scarsdale saw the promise of peace. Just pull the trigger, flick out the lights, and rest. He couldn’t sleep, he didn’t eat, and he couldn’t work. He saw the fingers of his right hand on the trigger guard, his left clutching the grip. With deliberation, he shifted his hold to adjust his wedding ring so that the three diamonds were showing. She had bought it for their first anniversary and, after the priest blessed it, had placed it on his ring finger in a reaffirmation of their vows. She told him the three diamonds signified the Holy Trinity. She said the Trinity would protect them, keeping their union intact as they grew old and feeble.

Now Charity was dead. Killed four weeks ago. Dead at twenty-eight. Dead because of him.

~Buy PRICE OF JUSTICE on Amazon.

AN INTERVIEW WITH ALAN -What made you want to write?

All through my life, one of my hobbies was reading books, fiction and non-fiction. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I often wondered what it would be like to write novels. After college, that hobby slowed down and I spent much of my adult life working in professions that required a considerable amount of writing - offense reports, supplementary offense reports, trial motions, trial briefs, appellate briefs, and responses to legal discovery requests.

As a police officer and later, as a detective, I acquired a treasure trove of experience working cases and making arrests involving a wide array of crimes. My stints as a prosecutor and as a criminal defense attorney built on that wealth of case experience.

I developed a fondness for crime novels after I retired from state government, especially those written by Michael Connelly. Using my police and law experiences coupled with my love of reading, I began writing fiction.

-What draws you to crime fiction?

I’m a firm believer in writing what you know. With a truckload of experience in criminal investigations, criminal trials, and international travel/law enforcement, I waffled between crime stories, courtroom suspense, and international thrillers. Unable to select just one, my genre of choice became whatever the story fit. My first two novels, Price of Justice and Cornered, are crime fiction. I have two in the planning stage which will fit in the fantasy genre with an underlying crime story orientation.

-What’s a fun fact you learned researching this project?

I wanted to know whether crime labs could take a recovered shell casing found by my protagonist and ID the gun it had been fired from without having to manually check it against every weapon submitted. What I learned was that firearms examiners or technicians can enter cartridge casing evidence into a federally-operated database known as the National Integrated Ballistic Identification System or NIBIN. These images are correlated against the database. Law enforcement can search against evidence from their jurisdiction, neighboring ones, and others across the country.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

I’d go out with all of my protagonists but my favorite would be Dani Mueller from Price of Justice. We share a common heritage and I would enjoy talking to her about life, customs and food in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.

Both of us come from a German background (my paternal grandparents plus I lived in Berlin, Germany, for a few years), speak German (she’s more fluent than I am now) and have a fondness for Garmisch and the Bavarian Alps (I actually spent a week there and loved the place.)

-For aspiring writers, any tips?

Aspiring writers must read, study and write as much as possible. Read the best writers in their genre and study their books - what makes that book so interesting, and what made it work so well - the character arcs, the hurdles faced by the protagonist and how he/she overcame them.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

I’m not so sure I couldn’t write any genre but if I had to choose one, I’d say pure romance. I’m more of a competitive guy who likes to write about overcoming obstacles, and competing against and defeating the bad guys. I will and do incorporate some romance in my crime fiction books (my wife’s influence on me) but it’s more of a subplot to the book.

ABOUT ALAN

Alan Brenham is the pseudonym of Alan Behr, an American author and attorney. He served as a law enforcement officer before earning a law degree. He worked first as a prosecutor then defense attorney for the next twenty-six years. His travels took him to several European and Middle Eastern countries, Alaska and almost every island in the Caribbean. While contracted to US military forces, he resided in Berlin, Germany for a few years. Alan and his wife, Lillian, currently live in the Austin, Texas area. He has authored two crime fiction books, Price of Justice and Cornered, and is working on a third titled Rampage.

Connect with Alan on the web at his website.

Visit the publisher’s website.

--- Hey readers,

And here we have proof that tension does not need long to take hold.

Follow the rest of the tour

And don’t forget to comment for a chance at a prize.

Alan will be awarding a $50 Amazon Gift Card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

15 comments:

  1. Your book sounds very intriguing. I've added it to my Must-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doris. The sequel, Rampage, will be coming out later this year.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for hosting me, Mary. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an intense and fascinating mystery/romance. I had to hold my breath while reading the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MomJane,

      Thanks for the comment. The rest of the book is even better.

      Delete
  4. Interesting research

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was able to forge a friendship with the director of a local police crime lab. I learned quite a few new forensics techniques from him.

      Delete
  5. You must have a wealth of experience & information you can draw upon.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Mary. I've drawn on almost thirty-five years worth of experience and cases worked in law enforcement and as a trial attorney.

      Delete
  6. Great interview!
    Thanks for the chance to win!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Natasha.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for such an in depth interview. Your book looks like a real nail-biter!
    ilookfamous@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for the comment, Elise-Maria

      Delete