Wednesday, January 22, 2014

HATHOR LEGACY by Deborah A. Bailey

HATHOR LEGACY: OUTCAST by Deborah A. Bailey
An urban fantasy paranormal romantic suspense

On the planet, Hathor, a powerful group called the Guardians serves as the security force for Novacorp, the corporation that runs Hathor with its ruthless monopoly. Nadira, as one of the most powerful Guardians, is expected to use her intuition and telekinetic powers to keep the capital city safe from thieves and intruders.

Jonathan Keel, son of a mine CEO on the nearby planet, Astarte, is wealthy, privileged and used to getting what he wants. When his father goes missing after a robbery and explosion at the mine, he defies the authorities and heads to Hathor to search for him and for the robbers.

Struggling with their growing desires, and chased by company security, Jon and Nadira find that solving the crime leads them to endure betrayals from the people closest to them, as secrets are revealed that not only link their pasts but also threaten to destroy Jon's family and separate him from Nadira forever.

EXCERPT
The lift doors opened. It was empty. Nadira had expected to see security officers inside.

"We won't get stopped at the boat?" Jonathan asked.

"There's less security at the ferry.”

She had a clear view of the lobby through the glass doors. But there was no way to tell what was waiting for them outside the building.

"So we'll hope a boat is there when we get to the dock?" Jonathan didn't try to hide his skepticism.

"They leave regularly. Even if we have to wait, it'll be all right. Trust me.”

As the lift set down at the main floor, she continued to scan the lobby for anything that seemed out of place. The tower residents were moving about as usual, and no one gave her and Jonathan a second glance.

But as they approached the glass walled entrance, she saw two officers standing outside, their faces partially covered by shiny black helmets.

"What now?" Jon asked, dropping his arm from her shoulders.

"Don't say anything," she whispered.

The entrance doors slid open, and Nadira walked out first. Composing herself, she lifted her hand and identified herself to the officers.

"Guardian," one of the officers said. "We were not aware that you had been called.”

"Why are you here?" Nadira asked.

The officer held up a clear tablet in front of Jon's face. It glowed blue and flashed as his ID scrolled across the screen. "We received a report that Jonathan Keel was here. The Sentry Leader instructed us to bring him in for questioning.”

~Buy HATHOR LEGACY on Amazon.

-Kindle
-Print

AN INTERVIEW WITH DEBORAH
-What made you want to write?

I've always enjoyed writing. When I was a little girl I wrote stories and drew my own comics with superheroes. Writing is something I have to do. If I don't, I feel out of sorts. That means that I always have stories in my head. It can be hard to keep track of it all. But it's fun as well.

-What draws you to your genre?

Growing up I loved Star Trek and the Twilight Zone, so of course I love futuristic themes. I'd watch all the old school sci-fi movies like Godzilla, and the cartoons like Astro Boy. So I grew up with all of those influences. That's why I enjoy writing about future technology and space exploration. Just add some romance and there you have it!

-Name a fun fact you learned researching this project.

Well, when I was researching some ideas for future technology, I found a prototype for a tablet that's made of clear glass. You can hold it up to a building and a floor plan will come up. Or if you're looking for the nutritional information for a food item, just hold the tablet in front of it, and the calories will be displayed. You don’t realize how many inventions are out there that seem futuristic but are available right now. Or will be soon. I got lost in my online research just checking out all the fun gadgets.

-Which of your characters would you go out for drinks with?

Most definitely I'd go with Jonathan. He owns a club on the planet, Astarte, so he's used to having an active social life. He'd be the center of attention entertaining everyone with great stories of his adventures. He likes to have fun and I'm sure that anyone who went out with him would have a good time.

-For aspiring writers, any tips?

The most important tip is to write everyday. Write even when you don't feel like it -- especially when you don't feel like it! It helps your creativity and you can get so many ideas while you're writing. I'd also say don't give up on your dreams. There are a lot of people who will try to discourage you. But don’t listen.

I'd also add, keep going no matter what. If you don't get the feedback your desire, or get bad reviews or don’t get feedback at all - you have to be able to keep writing. Perseverance will win out. Most people will quit if they don’t see the results right away. When I read Stephen King's book, On Writing, he talked about all the rejections he got in the beginning. Can you imagine what would've happened if he'd quit? Yes, it'll be tough, but it will be worth it.

-Is there a genre you could never write? Which and why?

That's a good question. I think I'd say I could never write a Thriller. Not because there's anything wrong with them, but I tend to like stories with puzzles to solve other than ones with a huge body count! I admire writers who can create those stories and keep you on the edge of your seat. But even though I was a member of Sisters in Crime at one time, and heard a lot about police procedures - and saw a few crime scene photos - I couldn't quite get myself to write one. I prefer to see movies and TV shows than to read the books. For some reason I don't mind those as much. But considering how my imagination can be, if I started writing in that genre, I think I'd have to sleep with the lights on!

ABOUT DEBORAH

As a little girl when Deborah A Bailey was watching Star Trek and Twilight Zone, she was writing and drawing her own superheroine comics. When she grew up, she continued to write and followed her love of technology into a career as a computer programmer and developer. But writing was never far away from her heart, so over the years she wrote and published stories set on other worlds and in Earth's future. Ultimately she fulfilled a lifelong dream and completed her first novel.

Her short stories have won awards from the Philadelphia Writers’ Conference and her work has been published in US1 Magazine and the Sun. And she recently published a short story collection, Electric Dreams: Seven Futuristic Tales. In her "other" life, she's a freelance writer who's published two non-fiction books and countless articles that have appeared in print and online. Visit her blog for writing tips, interviews and updates.

Visit Deborah’s website, and follow her on Twitter @AuthorDeborahB.

---
Hey readers,

Ok, that is really awesome technology. Just sayin’.

Follow the rest of the tour

And enter the Rafflecopter giveaway.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow Kit ‘N Kabookle with Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. I am a fellow star trek fan lol thanks for the giveaway and the nice write up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the excerpt and really liked your interview comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every author's dream....to see their book made into a movie. If your book were to be made into a film, who would you like to see play the main characters?

    kareninnc at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen!
      Hmmm, I think right now since the Sleepy Hollow finale is still buzzing in my head, I'd borrow Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie to play Jon and Nadira. Then I'd borrow the lead actress Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black to play Ilana. I think she'd be great because she can show the different sides of Ilana's personality. Now I'm inspired to cast the other supporting characters. Great question!

      Delete
  4. I still watch Twilight Zone. lol

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone! I just finished digging out from the snow storm.here in NJ. A big hello to the Star Trek and Twilight Zone fans. Thanks for hosting me today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :). Kind of wish I had some snow to dig.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the excerpt and the chance to win!
    Sounds like an amazing read!!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Star Trek, Twilight Zone, and Outer Limits! Sounds like an intriguing read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a traditional trekkie~ I've got a thing for Captain Picard lol. Thanks for sharing.
    ilookfamous@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete